Rodez Cathedral The Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Rodez is a Roman Catholic cathedral. The first mention of a cathedral dates from around 516. In 1000 it was rebuilt but nothing remains of this structure when it was completely rebuilt in 1272. Work on the Cathedral stopped when the plague and the Hundred year war hit Rodez.
Construction started again in the early 15th century with the completion of the choir and its vault, as well as the transept and of the first sectors of the nave. After the fire of 1510, bishop François d’Estaing had it rebuilt in 1513-1526 under the direction of Antoine Salvan with a new majestic bell tower. The cathedral was completed around 1531.
Despite the long construction process, the cathedral is characterized by a remarkable unity of style, which is mostly the Gothic one imported by architect Jean Deschamps into the Midi from northern France.
The cathedral is constructed of red sandstone. It has a severe façade, flanked by two sturdy towers, which betray its defensive function: the west front once formed part of the city walls of Rodez. The belltower, standing at 87 m, is surmounted by a lantern carrying the statue of the Virgin with a choir of four angels.
The cathedral has been classified as a national monument. It is the seat of the Bishopric of Rodez.